Monday 2 April 2012

DIY Cleaning Products

I have to say I NEVER thought I'd be one of "those" people praising the benefits of handmade cleaning products but...........well here I go!

Nearly 4 years ago when I was expecting my first child, I decided to go chemical free in the house, out of safety. It has taken me so long to actually go ahead and do this because I seriously did not think DIY products would work.........I was wrong and I'm kicking myself.

The products I have made are AMAZING, so much so that I will not be buying shop bought products again, they actually work better than anything I have purchased.

I have no idea how much money I have spent over the years on trying to clean soap scum from my ensuite bathroom. Maroon tiles and maroon grout is an absolute nightmare, so much so that I just dont have the time like I did before children to spend scrubbing something that will look just as bad in a couple of days.

Out of desperation I googled and found a perfect product that has worked, finally, after 13 yrs I can say those tiles are no longer a problem.



Starting with the right:

All purpose cleaner: 3TBS vinegar, 1/2 tsp washing soda, 1/2 tsp castile soap, 2cups hot water.

Febreeze/antibacterial wipe: 1 cup water,20 drops of lavender oil.

Citrus cleaner: 3 oranges, peeled and steeped for 7 days in vinegar, strain.

Grease cutter: (this is by far better than anything I have tried) 2 cups water, 1/4 cup castile soap, 10 drops of lavender.

Bath, sink and tile cleaner/cream clenser: 2/3 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup castil soap, 2TBS vinegar, 1/2 cup water and a few drops of tea tree oil.

"My miracle maroon tile cleaner" better known as Soap scum remover: 1cup dishwashing liquid (it specifically said to use blue dawn, i didnt have any and used palmolive) 1 cup of nearly boiling vinegar, mix both together and spray while hot.

I have also made a batch of washing powder, kindly the recipe was given to me by a friend, I am yet to see the washed and dried result so will add to this when I do.

Pete




No comments:

Post a Comment